We will, probably at some point, frantically ask our friends and fellow workers for effective ways to get unwanted smells out of our stinky gloves. The issue is more complicated if our pair is made of leather, since such material requires special care.
Fret not, with the right cleaning products and correct steps, we can make our leather pair smell good again. So, if you want to know how to get rid of smelly leather gloves, you are at the right place. Read on!
Table of Contents
- How Do You Get the Smell Out of Leather Gloves?
- How to Remove the Odor Inside Leather Gloves?
- How Do You Get the Musty Smell Out of Leather Gloves?
How Do You Get the Smell Out of Leather Gloves?
The thing about leather products is that they require treatment with the right cleaning and conditioning agents. We cannot just use anything, like bleach or another potent detergent, for our leather pieces, whether they’re jackets, gloves, or shoes, etc.
The following method is applicable for various leather items, so if you are trying to redeem your stinky leather gloves or coats, prepare the following:
- Some pieces of soft cloth or a brush with soft bristles
- Leather cleaning product
- Some pieces of newspapers
- Commercial odor removal and scented oil for leather
Step 1: Clean the glove surfaces
The bad smell might not only be from the built-up sweat inside, which is often the case. It might result from stuck grime, oils, and other dirt that we expose our gloves to while wearing them to handle tasks.
Therefore, it is necessary to use a soft brush or cloth to wipe the glove exterior first. Make sure you gently brush the whole piece to remove dust and dirt on the gloves.
Step 2: Air out the gloves in an open space
You can place your leather pair where there is not too much glaring sunlight. Keep them on a clean platform and in an open era for the moisture inside your gloves to vaporize. This step prevents mildew and mold from growing inside the leather pores and giving off a bad smell.
Step 3: Use the leather cleaning product
Avoid using saddle soap or another potent detergent for cleaning your leather gloves. The best product should be one made for cleaning leather fabric.
Now, pour some cleaning liquid on the glove surface and start wiping using a clean, soft cloth. Make sure to do so for the whole pair, inside out.
Step 4: Wrap the leather gloves in newspaper
This step is once again for drawing the remaining moisture and odor out of the leather material. You can cover the gloves with several pieces of newspaper and leave them there for a day or two.
Step 5: Wash the leather gloves
Create a new cleaning product for your leather gloves with distilled vinegar and warm water. Mix them in a ratio of 1:1 and shake the mixture a little.
Now, dip a clean piece of cloth into the cleaner and start brushing your glove surfaces with it. Then, clean leather gloves inside after flipping them to remove the smell in the lining as well.
Step 6: Treat the leather gloves
Now, all that’s left is treating your leather gloves using a leather oil or conditioner with your favorite scent. Or, you can use a commercial odor removal to apply to the leather gloves.
Then, leave the pair out to dry and enjoy its use again!
How to Remove the Odor Inside Leather Gloves?
There is more than one method that you can try when dealing with the odor inside your gloves, which is primarily due to moisture and sweat.
- UV rays – You can turn your gloves inside, then place them in an open era on a warm day. Or, if you are worried about leaving your leather gloves under the glaring sun rays, place them under a UV lamp bulb.
- Cold temperature – This method kills bacteria that make the glove smell terrible. It is as easy as placing your pair inside a zip lock pack. Then, you can leave the pack inside the freezer overnight.
- Disinfectant wipes – You can make good use of Chlorx or Lysol disinfectant wipes when cleaning the inside of leather gloves. Otherwise, try alcohol-free wipes or vinegar.
How Do You Get the Musty Smell Out of Leather Gloves?
The musty smell from your leather gloves is likely because of mold growth in the leather pores. It can be very unpleasant when the mold spreads. So, for such issues, you can try one or all three methods below:
- Baking soda – Odor absorbing is among the great features of baking soda. Therefore, we can pour it into a bowl then place it right beside our leather gloves, preferably at an open and dry place. It takes a while, from 1-2 weeks, and several turns of replacing the old baking soda, for the smell to dissipate.
- Coffee – Coffee beans or coffee may be used to remove the smell. You can heat a cup of coffee and place it near your leather gloves.
- Vinegar – Like the method mentioned above, a mixture of vinegar and water can make a difference to your stinky gloves. Just dap the solution gently onto the glove surface.
Knowing how to get rid of smelly leather gloves not only makes them smell good again but also maintains our good hygiene. Since dirty and smelly gloves are the birthing ground of mildew, mold, and bacteria, it is important to clean and disinfect our leather gloves.
Regarding any concern or further guide, feel free to reach out to us via our contact page. We will get back to you as soon as possible with helpful advice. Thanks for reading!
This is Edward Manning, the editor in chief of Construction Informer. Quite a bit of my time is spent researching the market and interviewing experts in the field so that I can give you reliable information.